Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bathroom Floor

Yesterday I started putting down the self stick tiles like we had used in the kitchen in the bathroom. This was the last step in completing the bathroom. First I cut the old linoleum floor around the spots were I had plugged the holes left by the old heating system and put in tiles we were not using to make everything level (or as level as I could). Next I planned out were I was going to start putting down the new tiles so that 1) the seams between the old linoleum and those tiles I used to level things were in the middle of the new tiles and 2) I would not have to small a space for the tiles next to the wall (I made that mistake in the kitchen). Then using the guide lines I had made in the floor I started laying tiles. I got as far as next to and in front of the toilet and had to stop. I would have to do that section while Barbara was out having lunch on the next day.

Barbara left around 11 AM for her lunch date and I started taking the toilet apart. I turned off the water to the whole trailer (no shutoff valve for the toilet) and flushed out the water in the tank but of course there is always some water left in the bottom so I got that out with a sponge. Then I tried to get the tank off of the bowl, I was able to get the first nut off but the other two were going to be a problem. I needed a deep socket wrench which I did not have. I was able to borrow a socket set from my neighbor that helped with the second nut and bolt but I could not get the last nut and bolt lose. The screw head in the tank was just too corroded to get the screw driver to stay in the slot. Now I was going to have to lift both the toilet bowl and tank together after removing the nuts that hold it all to the floor. This is not a big deal it is just easier to do it in two pieces instead of one. After I got the toilet out of the way I cleaned up the old wax seal from the floor and under the bottom of the toilet. Then I gave the wall behind the toilet a coat of paint and cleaned the floor and got it ready for the new tile. After laying the new tile were the toilet sat I used the hair dryer to finish drying the first coat of paint. I put a second coat of paint on the wall and waited 30 minutes before putting the toilet back in place. With the floor all tiled and the wall painted I put the toilet back in place and bolted it down. I reconnected the water to the tank and turned the water back on, no leaks. As you can see from the pictures it looks great if I do say so myself.