Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 17-20: Flamingo Garden, Bonnet House, Ocean 2009-2-26 thru 28

I need to think back a bit and I hope I remember it all.
Day 17: We spent the day doing laundry and just going to the pool for a swim, nothing real interesting. The only thing of interest is that we where approved by the park and we went to the Rose’s to tell them that and to setup a date and time to go transfer the title to us. We will officially own the trailer Monday afternoon. We also went to Lil and Occie's house, older cousins of Barbara's, for dinner. Their son Bob and his wife Nancy where there visiting from Kansas. George and Pat (Barbara's Brother and his wife) and Flo (Barbara's step mom) also went over for dinner. We had a very enjoyable visit.
Day 18: Barbara and I went down to Fort Lauderdale to a place called Flamingo Garden (
http://www.flamingogardens.org/ ). On the way we followed our GPS and got on the Florida Turnpike which is a toll road. I went to a booth with a person to ask if my EZ-Pass would be good or not and the gate went up as soon as I approached it so I assumed (a bad thing to do) it worked, their system is called Sun Pass. During the long ride down the turnpike I went through three high speed tolls with signs that there was a $100 fine for avoiding the tolls. When we got to the Motel that evening I called Sun Pass and found out that my EZ-Pass was not good on their system, but I could pay the tolls and after telling them where I got on and off they told me I owed them $6.95. I also got the information on where to send the check, this will be done first thing Monday morning. Back to Flamingo Garden, it really is more of an animal rescue and sanctuary then a garden. They have a large aviary you can walk into where the birds are all lose and you are walking among them. They also have many birds that are free to come and go, including several Peacocks and Peahens. This is their mating season so I got some good pictures of the males displaying for the ladies. The short animal talk was on raptors and we saw a Red Shoulder Hawk and a Red Tailed Hawk both that had damage to their left wing and they can not fly, so they will live out their lives at the sanctuary. When we left there we went to our hotel where Barbara had reserved a room with a Jacuzzi tub, she does enjoy a good tub.
Day 19: We started our day with a nice breakfast at the hotel, what they called extended continental. After leaving the hotel we went to Bonnet House Museum & Gardens (
http://www.bonnethouse.org/ ). The house was designed and built by Frederic Clay Bartlett, an artist and want to be architect. We learned that the whole Fort Lauderdale area is all reclaimed swamp land and the canals all through Fort Lauderdale are to manage the water due to the high water table.
Day 20: Well I went for a long bike ride this morning, I do not know how long because the batteries in my bike computer (it just does distance and time) died. I will have to do the same ride next week so I know how far I went. After lunch Barbara and I finally went to the ocean. The water temperature was 68 Fahrenheit. Barbara got wet up to her knees; I went in over my head when the waves came. We then sat on the beach and watched all the other people for about an hour. When we came back to the park we went in the pool for a quick swim and then back to the trailer.
That is all for now, I know this is a long post but I missed doing this for a few days. I will be posting the pictures from our adventures tonight or tomorrow so come back and check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment