Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Floor all done

Well the floor is done. As I started I rolled out the last of the moisture barrier I had (hoping that it was enough) and finding that I was about 2.5 feet short. I am glad I found out before Barbara took the car and went off to the CGL library (our community has their own little library) to do her turn as librarian or I would have had to either walk to the club house and get the car or sit and wait until 12:00 when she came home. Oh well I took her to the library and then off to Lowe’s for me. Bought another roll of moisture barrier and the piece for the threshold. I did not have a piece of the floor with me so I had to make a best guess on the color and I got the right one. When I got home I rolled out the 2.5 feet of moisture barrier that I needed and then started putting down the rest of the floor. When I got to the wall I was about 2 inches short and would have to rip down (cut along the length) planks to fit, not a problem with my table saw. The most complicated cut was for the doorway to the hall, I had to rip a piece down to the correct width and then cut out for the metal door frame (not as bad as I thought it was going to be). The worst was the threshold piece. It comes as a kit that has a metal track that you attach to the floor (cement in my case) and then tap in the cover piece you need to use. It comes with different pieces for different types of transitions. Laminate to laminate floor, Laminate to rug or laminate to step down. I cut a piece to fit in the door (or so I thought) but some how I had measured wrong and cut it to short, not a problem I measured again and cut the correct length. Seeing as we had laminate in the hall way and had had carpet in the bedroom there was already a transition piece in the door way and I planned on using the metal track over again, mistake. They changed the width of the metal track so after trying unsuccessfully in putting the new transition piece in the old metal track I wound up taking the old track up and putting the new track in it’s place. Of course the holes did not line up with the old holes from the old metal track and I had to drill new holes either in the new metal track or into the cement floor, I decided to drill new holes into the metal. Put the new metal track down and then started to tap the cover piece in place. Well I must not have had it lined up just right and I wound up bending the side of the the metal track down. Well lets just say if I can not get the one side of the threshold glued down tomorrow I will have to buy another threshold kit ($30.00) and try again. Here are the pictures, enjoy.