Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Good Bye to the Couch

Time to catch everyone up on what we have been up to. On Monday Barbara and I (me under the direction of Barbara) tried a painting technique on the wall that is in pretty bad shape. It had gotten wet when the old Florida Room (aka the porch) got blown away in the last hurricane that hit this area. The paneling is all buckled and should be replaced (maybe next year) and you can see the where it buckles after we put up the paintable wall paper and painted it. So we tried the speckling technique we used to do the clouds in on the bumbout ceilings. First we tried some white and chocolate colored paint and that did not look so good. Barbara got out her acrylic paints and I dabbed on some burnt umber. Nope, still not good so I dabbed on some blue and that is when we decided that it was not getting any better so we better stop. I sent out an e-mail with a link to the pictures and asked my Friends options, everyone said (drum roll please) PAINT IT! Well it has been repainted with the base color (needs a second coat to cover the burnt umber) and the bumbs from the water damage don't look so bad anymore. On Monday evening we went over to Barbara's Brothers place for Pat's 60th birthday party. We brought along the GIANT Christmas Cracker Barbara had bought at one of the thrift stores we had gone to last week, it had clowns on it and was not very christmasy. George and Pat pulled it (it did not have a snapper in it did not bang) and we all enjoyed seeing all the neat stuff inside. Everyone put on a hat and read their riddle (ex: What did the lawyer name his daughter.... Sue). On Tuesday it was back to work so I put a coat of paint on the experiment wall and started on the next section the closet over the non working furnace and door to the bathroom. And of course our afternoon swim, I am loving Florida in November. Today I went for an 11.88 mile bike ride and then did my lower leg exercises when I got back. Barbara and I went down to the Bargin Corner (the thrift store in the park) to donate some things we were not using and to see if they would take the couch off our hands. Well they would not take the couch but they said to put it out by the curb and someone will come and want it. We where a little skeptical but I found someone to help me get it off of the porch and onto the next sites cement. Well as we where finishing lunch the AmeriGas delivery man stopped and said he wanted it. I helped him move it back from the road and now we are just waiting for him to come and pick it up. We also found the perfect table for company dinners. It fits against the wall where the couch was and with the two leafs up it will seat 8 to 10 very nicely, and it only cost $15.00. Today I did very little work, even I need a day off once in a while. I did take the doors off the next cabinets to be painted and did some repair work to the paneling but no painting. Tomorrow I will paint the rest of the cabinets in the living room and get that area all done. Almost forgot to rub it in, we went for an afternoon swim today also.